Prizes & Research
The Michael F. Dacey Award is presented each year to the student who has written the most outstanding MMSS senior thesis. The award is for $500 and may be shared in the case of multiple outstanding theses. All MMSS theses submitted on time for honors consideration are automatically eligible for this prize.
The Jeanette M. Dacey Award is presented each year to a graduating senior who has the best performance in MMSS required coursework. The award is for $500 and may be shared in the case of identical GPAs. Both Dacey prizes are awarded at the MMSS graduation party immediately following the WCAS Convocation in June.
Thesis Research Grant Opportunities
The Michael F. Dacey Research Grants are available to MMSS students working on their MMSS senior thesis who are in need of funds to pursue their research goals. Eligible expenses may include the purchase of data, research-related travel, or other relevant project costs. Applicants typically must first apply for a Northwestern University Undergraduate Research Grant from the Provost’s Office and/or one of the Weinberg Research Grants. If your proposal is turned down by the Provost’s Office or Weinberg, you may then apply to MMSS for funding. Those interested should submit:
- A project proposal of no more than 3 pages, including bibliography if appropriate. The proposal should describe the objective of the thesis project and explain why the activities supported by the requested funds are a necessary or important component of the project.
- If your project requires IRB approval,* please include IRB approval number on proposal.
- A budget, detailing total project expenses.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor who agrees to supervise the project.
- A complete unofficial transcript.
A complete application should be submitted to the MMSS Office. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.*Please note: If you are conducting research involving human subjects for your thesis, you must obtain approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to applying for the Dacey Research Grant. For more information about the approval process, please contact Kathleen Murphy, IRB Manager (email@example.com) for assistance.